Monday, October 19, 2009

Holiday Baking

Although Christmas is more than a month away, I always seem to get into the holiday spirit around this time. October through December really becomes one big holiday to me. I also like to have something of a game plan going into the holidays. This helps me remain stress-free while also helping me save money and time. I pick menus way in advance so that I am able to order cuts of meat or stock up when something goes on sale. I research my recipes if I am using new ones and sometimes do a test run on the simpler ones. Finally, I try to make as much at home as possible. For my family, that homemade touch really makes the holidays and I feel like it shows our friends how important they are to us too.

Since I love to cook and bake anyway, I often end up giving baskets of homemade goodies to friends. I aim for the 10th of December for drop-off. That way they have time to enjoy them throughout the holidays or at least before they leave to visit their family. However, since cookies exchanges and homemade gift giving has increased, I try my best to find different and interesting recipes. I also try to have varied treats, like something lemony, something cinnamon, something chocolate, etc.

For those of you looking for interesting cookies, here are some ones to think about. I have gathered them over the years from various places and have tweaked some while leaving others alone. I will be adding the recipes over the next week. Beside each cookie is the texture and flavors of each so you can mix and match a balanced basket of your own! Happy Holidays.

Cookies

Bizcochitos
Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti (crunchy, chocolate, hazelnut)
Cranberry Orange Melbas (crunchy, orange, cranberry)
Double Chocolate Sable Cookies (sandy, chocolate)
Florentines (crisp, almond, sugar)
Golden Rugalach (crumbly, fruit, nuts)
Kourabiedes (crumbly, walnut, sugar)
Linzers (crumbly, rasperberry)
Lusikkaleivat (crunchy, plum)
Ma'amouls (sticky/chewy, orange)
Mazurkas (sticky/chewy, fruit)
Mexican Chocolate Chip (chewy, chocolate, spicy)
Moravian Spice Cookie Wafers (crisp, molasses/spices)
Pistachio Melbas (crunchy, pistachios)
Zimtsterne (sticky/chewy, almond)

Bars

Dulce De Leche (melty/creamy, caramel)
Grasshopper
(melty/creamy, mint, chocolate)
Lemon/Lilikoi (melty/creamy, lemon)
Nanimo
(melty/creamy, dark chocolate)

No comments:

Post a Comment